1. Area of application.
Section Name Version no. Date of issuing
1 Area of application 0 02.05.09г.
1.1. Content 0 02.05.09г.
1.2. General information about the enterprise 0 02.05.09г.
1.3. General provisions 0 02.05.09г.
1.4. Application 0 02.05.09г.
2. Normative references 0 02.05.09г.
3. Definitions 0 02.05.09г.
4. Quality management system 0 02.05.09г.
4.1. General requirements 0 02.05.09г.
4.2. Documentation requirements 0 02.05.09г.
5. Responsibility of the management board 0 02.05.09г.
5.1. Obligations of the management board 0 02.05.09г.
5.2. Customer- orientation 0 02.05.09г.
5.3. Policy in the field of quality 0 02.05.09г.
5.4. Planning 0 02.05.09г.
5.5. Responsibility, authority and information exchange 0 02.05.09г.
5.6. Analysis from the part of the management 0 02.05.09г.
6. Resources management 0 02.05.09г.
6.1. Supply of resources 0 02.05.09г.
6.2. Human resources 0 02.05.09г.
6.3. Infrastructure 0 02.05.09г.
6.4. Production sphere 0 02.05.09г.
7. Product lifecycle processes 0 02.05.09г.
7.1. Planning of the product lifecycle processes 0 02.05.09г.
7.2. Customer-related processes 0 02.05.09г.
7.3. Design and development 0 02.05.09г.
7.4. Purchases 0 02.05.09г.
7.5. Production and technical service 0 02.05.09г.
7.6. Monitoring and measuring devices management 0 02.05.09г.
8. Measurement, analysis and improvement 0 02.05.09г.
8.1. General provisions 0 02.05.09г.
8.2. Monitoring and measurement 0 02.05.09г.
8.3. Non-conforming products management 0 02.05.09г.
8.4. Data analysis 0 02.05.09г.
8.5. Improvement 0 02.05.09г.
1.2. General information about the enterprise.
OÜ TerasMan was formed and registered as a juridical person in the year 2001.
The main field of activity of the organization is:
- Metal structures design, fabrication and assembling.
The personnel, who work in the organization, are qualified, know the particularity of the work and have a large experience in fabrication of any metal structures. The technical personnel provide realization of the customer’s requirements in accordance with contract and order requirements.
The enterprise applies the appropriate equipment and the newest technologies, has a good production environment, which provides meeting of all quality requirements by fulfilment of orders on fabrication of any metal structures. The engineers have a corresponding technical education and skilfully and correctly apply it by accomplishing of the works.
The OÜ TerasMan services are being used not only by Estonian firms, but also by external customers (from Finland, Norway, Germany etc.).
OÜ TerasMan contact details:
Address: Paneeli 2, 11415 Таllinn, Estonia
Phone: 372 605 2320
Fax: 372.605 2331
1.3. General provisions.
A decision about creating a Quality management system in OÜ TerasMan was made by the management board of the organization issuing from the main tasks the organization faces.
The tasks of the organization:
- determination and satisfaction of requirements and expectations of its customers and other interested parties (employees, suppliers, owners, society), providing of competitive advantages and their effective and efficient accomplishment;
- increasing of the overall efficiency and possibilities of the organization.
By development of the Quality management system the OÜ TerasMan management board took as a basis the eight fundamental principles:
- customer focus;
- leadership of a manager;
- involvement of the workers;
- process approach;
- system approach to management;
- continual improvement;
- factual approach to decision making;
- mutually beneficial supplier relationships.
The “process approach” was used while development and implementation of Quality management system and improvement of its effectiveness and efficiency. Any activity or a set of activities, which uses the recourses for transformation of inputs into outputs, may be considered as a process.
The advantage of the process approach consists in providing of permanent management in the junction points of different processes within the system and also by their combination and interaction.
By making a decision about implementation of the Quality management system the top management of OÜ TerasMan issued from the point that the quality should continually improve, irrespectively of whether it concerns the services, production, processes or the organization as a whole. Thus grows the productive capacity at the enterprise. When the work is more efficient, then the expenses decrease. The enterprise may scale down prices. This, in its turn, leads to appearing of satisfied customers, who probably may “bring along their friends”. As a result increases the market share and thus grows the economical success of the enterprise. When the enterprise strengthens its position, the jobs become more stable. This, in its turn, brings about the satisfied co-workers, who, by their participation, knowledge and skills, considerably contribute into improvement of quality of services, products, processes or an enterprise as a whole.
The quality system, developed in OÜ TerasMan, extends to metal structures design, fabrication and assembling.
By implementation of the standard ISO 9001-2008 the OÜ TerasMan took into account all the requirements of the standard.
By implementation of the standard ISO 9001-2008 the management board and all the OÜ TerasMan personnel took as a basis such interconnected aspects as:
- requirements and expectations of the customer: a customer must be sure that the organization is able to accomplish the works with the required quality and to sustain the achieved quality level;
- demands and interests of the organization: the organization faces the need of achieving and sustaining the necessary quality level by optimal expenses; accomplishing of this task is connected with the planned efficient using of available technical, human and material resources.
- orientation to eight quality management principles, process approach to the organization of the production management and search for the methods of continual improvement of the System.
Each of the above mentioned Quality management system aspects requires availability of fair information about the quality of the System and the accomplished works. Such information is reflected in the minutes of the dispatch meetings and quality days, in the management annual report on the System analysis in the organization, in decisions taken in regard to reclamations from the part of the customers.
2. Normative references.
In the Quality manual there are used the references to the following standards:
ISО 9000-2005 Quality management systems. Fundamentals and vocabulary.
ISO 9004:2000 Quality management systems. Guidelines for performance improvements.
ISО 9001-2008 Quality management systems. Requirements.
ISО 10011-1 Guidelines for auditing quality systems. Part 1. Auditing.
ISО 14001-98 Environmental management systems. Specification with guidance for use.
ISО 10013 Guidelines for developing quality manuals.
In the present Quality manual there are used the terms and definitions given in ISO 9000-2005.
The brought below terms for describing of supply chain are used in the new standard in a following way:
Supplier organization customer
The term «organization» replaces the term «supplier», which is used in ISO 9001-94, and refers to an object. Besides, the term “supplier” replaces the term “subcontractor”.
The term “product” may also mean a “service”.
Quality management system – further on in the text – QMS.
4. Quality management system.
4.1. General requirements.
In order to gain a success, the quality management system (QMS), developed for continual improvement of effectiveness and efficiency of the organization, should be maintained in working order.
The system approach towards the quality management prompts OÜ TerasMan to analyze the customers’ requirements, to determine the processes, which contribute to obtaining of acceptable for the customers products, and also to maintain these processes in a manageable condition. The quality management system is a base for continual improvement with the aim to increase probability that the satisfaction of both the customers and the other interested parties would grow.
The system gives confidence to the organization itself and to its customers that the organization is able to deliver the products, which fully meet the requirements.
On the one hand, the quality management means that the quality is a function of the management. It means that the management of the organization should set the quality as one of the supreme goals for OÜ TerasMan and create the appropriate general conditions for accomplishing of this goal.
On the other hand, the quality management also means however that the quality is not only passively checked or provided. The quality is actively managed by means of such quality supportive measures as planning of quality, process management, quality control and improvement.
Thus the concept of quality management includes all actions facilitating achievement of such quality of ready products, which meets the requirements of the customers.
4.2. Documentation requirements.
The documentation makes it possible to convey the meaning and the sequence of actions. Its implementation promotes:
- providing of objectivity;
- repeatability and traceability;
- assessment of the quality management system efficiency and its constant workability.
Documentation on QM contributes to the transparency at the enterprise. Documentation on QM clarifies the interconnections and enables a purposeful cooperation at the enterprise. Engaging of the workers into describing of their working processes may improve their motivation. At the same time the documentation on QM is of benefit not only within the enterprise. It bears also a strategic marketing function, since a part of documentation on QM may be used for the advertising purposes.
The following types of documents are in use in OÜ TerasMan quality management system:
- documents, presenting consistent information on the quality management system of the organization, intended both for inner and for outer use; an example is Quality manual;
- documents, describing how the quality management system is applied to the concrete product, project or contract; to such documents belong the quality plans. The quality plans are developed in the organization either according to the contractual requirements or according to the order of the OÜ TerasMan director;
- documents, which set the requirements; this relates to the documents, containing the technical requirements;
- documents, containing recommendations and suggestions, such as methodical documents;
- documents, containing information about how to consequently perform the actions and processes; to such documents belong the documented quality procedures (in OÜ TerasMan they are name the quality procedures – QP), drawings, technological instructions;
- documents, containing the objective evidence of the performed actions or the achieved results; to such documents belong the Records.
RI, TI, drawings etc.
The documentation pyramid.
The quality manual is a part of quality documentation, in which the QM system is described as a whole. The quality manual is one of the most important documents on the enterprise, since it both inwardly and outwardly presents the ability of the enterprise to provide the quality.
Being a guide to the quality management system, the QM at the same time gives:
- possibility to the clients and partners to get a documental confirmation that in OÜ TerasMan there is created and sustained an efficient Quality management system;
- confidence that all processes, rules and quality provision methods, applied at the enterprise, are clearly and unequivocally presented and understood by all the OÜ TerasMan personnel;
- increase in the partners' confidence towards the work of the enterprise.
The management representative on quality is that person in OÜ TerasMan, who is responsible for the activity, connected with issuing of the QM and making amendments in QM and in the quality procedures. He provides regular implementation of the QMS documents.
The quality manual is an intellectual property of OÜ TerasMan. Making copies from QM is allowed only with permission of the management representative on quality.
The QM copies are divisible into the originals and the duplicates.
The duplicates are divisible into the check, working and informational copies. The amendments are made in the original, check and working copies of the QM.
The amendments are not inserted into the informational copies. The last are used in an actual moment: they are handled to the customer as information at the moment of contract concluding, if the customer is interested in this.
The informational copies are stamped with an imprint “The amendments not to be reported”.
The amendments are being made by substitution of separate sheets or of the whole section of QM. The substituted sheets in the original QM are crossed out and stamped with an imprint “Substituted”. The substituted sheets remain in the original QM along with the newly inserted sheet. The substituted sheets in the duplicates are taken out and replaced by the new ones. The actual aptness level of the QM copies is seen in the header, in the box “Version no.”.
The requirements of standard 9001-2008 are implemented in OÜ TerasMan by means of quality procedures. A quality procedure is a description of a process or a line of action at the enterprise, which is important in relation to the quality. It is an inner document on quality for OÜ TerasMan.
The quality procedure is a proven tool for organizational regulation of the accomplishment sequence of the processes and it completes the structural and organizational tasks and the descriptions of the enterprise functioning.
The quality procedure describes the process(es) or actions, which are important in relation to the quality.
The structural arrangement of quality procedures in OÜ TerasMan is everywhere the same; it is done in order that the workers could orient themselves in them quickly and confidently.
They are arranged in a following way:
The quality procedure.
1. Aim and purpose.
2. Area of application.
3. Terms and definitions.
4. Description of the process (es).
5. Valid documents.
Along with the above described quality documents, there are also other very important for QMS documents at the enterprise: these are the records on quality.
It is important to make a clear distinction between the records on quality and the documents on quality. The documents on quality are the task setting documents. The records on quality are the evidences, by help of which there may be determined, for example, the testing results.
The records on quality are the final documents and they cannot be amended.
Amendment would mean that the record is manipulated with or falsified. Therefore it is always necessary to undersign the records on quality.
The records on quality are the evidence of quality. There are mentioned the fulfilled requirements. The evidence may be given about a product or a process.
The documents in the QM system are to be managed. The managing means developing, confirmation, distribution, amendment and storing of documents on quality.
The whole process of documentation management is described in OÜ TerasMan in the procedure QP - 4.2. “Management of documentation and records on quality”.
5. Responsibility of the company’s management board.
5.1. Obligations of the management board.
The company’s management board bears the responsibility for the quality and therefore it should create the appropriate conditions for functioning of the QM system.
The leadership of the top management, its obligations and active participation are the key factors by elaborating and maintenance of the effective quality management system, which would be profitable for all interested parties.
A manager has a task to consider such measures as:
- elaboration of forecast, policy and strategic aims in accordance with the purpose of the organization;
- providing of organizational structure and resources, which are needed for support of the strategic plans of the organization;
- setting a good personal example of such management style, which would provide confidence of the personnel;
- participation in projects on improvement, searching for new methods and solutions;
- obtaining feedback directly on performance and efficiency of QM system;
- creating an environment, which would promote workers participation and development.
The management board of OÜ TerasMan constantly sets such kind of tasks on dispatching meetings, quality days, by analyzing the QM system, in personal conversations with workers of the firm, actively engaging the personnel into solving of strategic tasks on improvement of quality.
5.2. Consumer-centered orientation.
Every organization is facing several different interested groups, each one with its own specific needs and anticipations.
Such ones may include, for example:
- consumers and final recipients;
- people, who work in the organization;
- owners and investors, including stock-holders;
- suppliers and partners;
- the society, understood as depending on the organization community and as general public.
The organization has to provide determination of these needs and the consumer’s anticipations, their transformation into the corresponding requirements and fulfilling of them in order to satisfy the customers.
In order to meet the needs and expectations of all interested parties the organization must fulfill and fulfils the following requirements:
- determination and analysis of needs and anticipations of all interested parties;
- providing the balanced reaction to the needs and expectations as expressed in the requirements;
- transformation of the needs and anticipations into the requirements;
- informing all organizational levels about the requirements.
It is not enough to fulfill the customers’ requirements, expressed in writing. The management board of OÜ TerasMan should provide such state of things, by which:
- unexpressed needs and expectations of the customers are being detected;
- all requirements towards the production, such as legal regulations, standards etc., are being fulfilled;
- the information about satisfaction or dissatisfaction of the customers is being collected..
In order to meet the needs and expectations of the consumers, the organization should:
- understand the needs and expectations of its customers, including potential customers;
- determine the main characteristics of the production, intended for consumers and final users;
- determine and estimate the competitive scene on its market;
- determine the marketing possibilities, weak aspects and future advantages in competition.
OÜ TerasMan has a list of main competitors, follows their activities and timely takes the measures to be above them. The works for potential customers are considered as of first priority and the discounts are made for them.
In individual conversations with the personnel the management board determines the needs and expectations of its workers in the field of their activity, their satisfaction with the work and also their development. Such attention helps to provide the fullest involvement and the strongest motivation of the workers.
Periodically (at least once a year) the organization determines the financial and other results, which correspond to defined needs and expectations of owners and investors.
Considering its relations with society the organization does the following:
- shows its responsibility in the field of health and safety (all workers of OÜ TerasMan periodically undergo medical examination);
- takes into account the environmental impact, including saving of energy and natural reserves (OÜ TerasMan has started preparations for implementation of ISO 14001);
- has identified the legal and other compulsory requirements applied;
- has identified the current and potential influence of its production and processes upon the society and particularly upon the local community.
5.3. Policy in the field of quality.
The policy in the field of quality is elaborated, accepted and compulsory for all the OÜ TerasMan personnel.
The policy is communicated to the workers on the dispatch and performance meetings. For direct studying it is put up on the announcement boards in the office and at the ironworks.
With the aim of practical implementation of policy in the field of quality the management has set up the concrete goals in the field of quality.
By elaboration of these goals the management took into account the following:
- actual and future needs of organization and the served markets;
- corresponding conclusions from the QMS analysis made by the management;
- actual indices of the processes;
- satisfaction levels of the interested parties;
- comparison with better achievements, results of the competitive analysis, improvement possibilities;
- resources needed for achieving of the goals.
The aims in the field of quality are communicated to the workers on the dispatch, performance and general meetings and are also put up on the announcement board for direct studying.
The aims are systematically analyzed and revised when the need arises. The aims accepted by the personnel of OÜ TerasMan are brought on the following page.
Quality plans are prepared in OÜ TerasMan in the cases when it is foreseen by the contract conditions or according to the decision of the company’s director. The quality plan is prepared by the management quality representative, who includes in it the following questions:
- the workers skills and knowledge necessary for performance of the works;
- responsibility and authority of persons engaged in the project;
- necessary resources;
- quotations for necessary tools and equipment;
- necessity in improvement, including means and methods;
- necessity in documentation, including recording.
5.5. Responsibility, authority and information exchange.
In order to facilitate the performance of effective management the OÜ TerasMan management board has determined and announced the functions within the organization and their interrelations, including the spheres of responsibility and authorities.
All workers are entrusted with important authority and responsibilities, as applied to quality, in order that they would feel themselves engaged into the whole organization and responsible for fulfillment of assigned tasks on keeping of quality requirements.
All these questions are reflected in OÜ TerasMan in the structural scheme of the enterprise, in quality procedures and in duty regulations.
Director – bears responsibility for the whole activity of OÜ TerasMan. He determines the aims in the field of quality and strategic business directions. The director bears responsibility also for implementation of QMS, its efficiency and effectiveness, for introducing the amendments into the QM.
Director of the ironworks plant – bears responsibility for organization of works in all production units of the plant. He is responsible for elaboration of technological instructions and procedures related to the main activity of the plant. He also bears responsibility for fulfillment of all contracts, for the quality of ready production, for staff training and further improvement of their skills at the plant.
Management quality representative – bears responsibility for:
- planning, elaboration and management of activities on implementation and documentation of QM system;
- efficient functioning and constant improvement of QM system;
- compiling the internal auditing schedules and performing of internal auditing;
- preparation of QM system analysis from the part of the management board;
- taking measures for quality improvement and maintenance;
- preparation of informative quality report (statistics, elaborating ofcorrecting measures, quality costs), preparation of QM system efficiency report;
- planning and preparation of training events on quality management and improvement of quality.
The OÜ TerasMan management board is constantly paying attention to information exchange between the departments in the questions of quality policy, requirements, goals and their achieving, supposing that providing such information contributes into improvement of the business activity of the organization and directly involves its workers into achieving of the goals in the field of quality.
Information exchange in OÜ TerasMan includes:
- informing from the part of the management, performed at working places;
- group brifings, dispatch meetings etc.;
- using of the announcement board.
5.6. Analysis from the part of the management.
Analysis from the part of the management is a tribune for exchange of new ideas, for open discussion and estimation of input data.
In OÜ TerasMan the analysis from the part of the management is being performed once a year. The results of QM system and the enterprise work analysis are further used in planning of organization activity improvement.
The input data for analysis contain:
- goals achievement status and results in the field of quality and business activity of the organization;
- audit results;
- the results of previous analysis of QM system;
- market-related factors (technologies, investigations and elaborations, the competitors activity etc.);
- results of comparison with better achievements;
- new possible improvements;
- process discrepancy management;
- activity status according to the strategic partnership;
- quality-related financial results of activity;
- other factors that may influence the organization, such as financial, social or environmental conditions and corresponding amendments in laws and regulations.
All input data, obtained by analysis of the system, are being further used for:
- improvement of organization activity;
- estimation of acceptability of organizational structure and resources;
- reduction of losses and identified risks;
- elaboration of strategy on satisfaction of customers;
- information on strategic planning of further needs of the organization.
All QM analyses from the part of the management are constantly being communicated to all workers of the enterprise and put up to the announcement board.
6. Resources management.
6.1. Supply of resources.
For materialization and realization of strategies and aims in the field of quality management system the organization timely determines and supplies the means, necessary for implementation and improvement of QM system. A special priority belongs to achieving of satisfaction of the customers.
The resources include workers, infrastructure, working environment, equipment, instruments, information, suppliers and partners, natural and financial resources.
In order to improve the activity of the organization the management board of OÜ TerasMan constantly deals with all questions that concern the resources, for example:
- efficient and timely using of the means with account of possibilities and limitations;
- non-material means, such as intellectual property and services;
- material resources, such as improved manufacturing and auxiliary means;
- information and technology management;
- improvement of competence by means of purposeful training, education and instruction;
- planning of future resource needs.
6.2. Human resources.
In order to guarantee the faultless running of all processes the OÜ TerasMan has determined a need in competence for each activity of the process and has chosen the corresponding personnel.
For this purpose the interviews are being held once a year in OÜ TerasMan with the workers, whose work influences the quality of products. In the course of a trust-based conversation a manager detects the requests of the worker, his knowledge, competence and his suggestions on improvement of the work organization at his segment.
Involving of the personnel is being accomplished by following means:
- determination of the need in competence for each type of activity within the process;
- selection, advanced training and career planning;
- assignment of responsibility and authority;
- establishing of individual and collective aims, performance management and analysis of results;
- facilitation of involvement into determination of aims and finding of solutions;
- practice of acknowledgement and rewards;
- providing of efficient collective work;
- implementation of coworkers’ satisfaction measurement techniques with the aim to achieve improvement;
- investigation of causes of personnel turnover.
OÜ TerasMan management knows, who has the corresponding qualification and the theoretical and practical knowledge required for his activity, being able to perform the work really well. Therefore training of the workers is especially important at the enterprise for achieving of its aims in the field of quality. It is necessary to provide such a situation, when every worker at the enterprise would be really able to perform his tasks skillfully and with the required quality.
For each type of activity, which is important in relation to the efficiency, the OÜ TerasMan determines the corresponding competence of the workers. The present and future need of organization is found out and compared with available competence of its workers.
Determination of need in competence is being made according to the following points:
- future needs, with account of strategic and production plans and goals;
- estimation of competence of individual workers in relation to certain work;
- laws, regulations, standards and directives concerning the organization and its activity and means.
By preparation of training plans the OÜ TerasMan management first of all analyses the needs of every worker in the advanced training. The training plans include the following points:
- aims of the training;
- programs and methods of training;
- necessary educational means;
- measuring of the training efficiency and its influence upon the enterprise.
The quality management representative is that person in OÜ TerasMan, who is responsible for preparation of training plans and corresponding programs.
All the questions concerning training of the personnel, additional training, compulsory training, responsibility for retraining of the staff and adequate competence of the personnel are reflected in more details in the quality procedure QP – 6.2 «Training of the personnel».
The infrastructure is an organizational foundation of the system and a base for its activity.
Infrastructure includes such resources as production rooms, working area, labor facilities and equipment, auxiliary services, informational and communicational technologies and transport facilities.
In OÜ TerasMan there is made inventory accounting of all equipment, measuring devices and instruments. Every piece of equipment has its inventory number. There is made a list of equipment, measuring devices and instruments. In working rooms there are periodically made preventive renovations. In the end of the year we prepare a list of needed new equipment, which is included into a general investment plan.
The production environment in organization is a combination of human and physical factors. These factors influence the motivation, satisfaction and efficiency of the workers and may increase the efficiency of the organization.
In the elaborated quality procedure QP – 6.3 «Infrastructure and production environment» all factors of production environment interaction with product lifecycle processes are mentioned in more details.
7. Product lifecycle processes.
7.1. Planning of the product lifecycle processes.
In OÜ TerasMan there is provided effective and efficient functioning of the product (services) lifecycle processes and the auxiliary processes, in order that the organization could satisfy all the interested parties.
Each process is a sequence of interconnected activities or an activity with input and output. OÜ TerasMan has identified the inputs and the types of activity, necessary for achieving of effective and efficient process outputs.
All processes are documented in OÜ TerasMan to such a degree, which is needed for supporting of effective and efficient work. All the OÜ TerasMan personnel is aware that documentation related to processes contributes to:
- determination of important characteristics of the processes and disclosing them to the personnel;
- training in the field of functioning of the processes;
- sharing knowledge and experience in workgroups;
- analyzing, reviewing and improving of processes.
OÜ TerasMan constantly estimates the role of the workers in the processes, in order to:
- provide labor protection of the personnel;
- provide availability of necessary skills;
- support coordination of the processes;
- provide input data for process analyses from the part of the workers;
- sustain implementation of the innovations suggested by the workers.
The growth of profits, increased satisfaction of the customers, better use of the resources, diminishing of nonproductive expenses – these are the examples of measurable results, which may be achieved by improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the processes.
OÜ TerasMan has determined, which manufacturing and technical maintenance processes have a direct influence upon the quality of the products. These important for the work quality processes are being particularly thoroughly planned and subject to control. This is the only way to provide that the process would flow under the managed conditions.
The managed conditions mean that the processes are being elaborated and controlled in such a way that they give the planned results and not the casual products.
Besides, planning of realization processes includes several requirements, to which OÜ TerasMan conforms in order to provide accomplishing of the production process under the managed conditions. All necessary procedures, technological instructions, techniques and working procedures are supplied with indications of which product (services) quality influencing works are to be accomplished and in what sequencing, and also of how are the separate works to be done. The number of qualified workers and measuring instruments along with amount of technological documentation, necessary for accomplishing of separate stages of processes, are planned in advance.
But how it can be checked if the operation process is really flowing under the managed conditions? The important proof is the quality of the accomplished works. It gives possibility to make direct conclusions about the quality of the processes. If the accomplished works don’t meet the requirements, then probably the whole process also does not meet them.
The product quality is the main proof of process flowing under the managed conditions.
The whole manufacturing cycle in OÜ TerasMan is divided into the main and auxiliary processes. Start-up works, preparation of necessary equipment, responsibility of the personnel and availability of technological equipment – all these questions are reflected in quality procedures QP – 7.5 «Management and servicing of the production process”, in QP - 7.5-1 “Technical and industrial start-up works”, QP – 6.3-1 «Repair and technical maintenance of machines and equipment”, in QP – 6.2 «Training of personnel».
7.2. Consumer-related processes.
A fundamental rule, which is valid in OÜ TerasMan by concluding contracts with the consumers, says: «The quality is fulfillment of requirements and expectations of the consumers. Only consumer decides if they are fulfilled.” It means that determination of consumers’ requirements is an important factor for achieving the quality and besides this in essence predetermines the economical success of the enterprise. Only the one who meets the requirements and expectations of his customers may attain the satisfaction of the customers, which is necessary for a long presence on the market.
Therefore meeting of the customers’ requirements is an important principle of the modern quality management.
In OÜ TerasMan by determining of the customers’ requirements it is first of all being detected if the customer and OÜ TerasMan actually understand these requirements in the same way. It especially relates to the anticipated expectations, which are not expressed evidently and usually are not fixed in a written form.
Before undersigning the contract the OÜ TerasMan management board checks the possibility of actual fulfillment of the requirements, taking into account the following questions:
- does the OÜ TerasMan have the corresponding facilities (equipment, personnel)?
- does the OÜ TerasMan have the corresponding capacities?
- is the OÜ TerasMan able to keep the required terms?
- can the OÜ TerasMan accomplish the works with the desired quality?
The management board undersigns the contract only after accomplishing of the above-mentioned checking stages.
All the foregoing questions are documented in the elaborated quality procedure QP - 7.2 «Marketing analysis. Reviewing and preparation of contracts. Feedback.»
In the cases when customers complain the workers of OÜ TerasMan immediately go to the site and correct the drawbacks. After repairing the failures there takes place the analyses of the complaint and elaboration of the corresponding correcting measures.
7.3. Design and development.
A project director and his co-workers are the ones who deal with the questions of designing in OÜ TerasMan. After checking of the contract and its undersigning by both the customer and the enterprise there starts a stage of design and development of the desired product (or the service, as required by the contract). This stage, embracing first of all such phases of production as designing, development and construction, is the most important. Just here the decisive requirements towards quality, expenses and contract fulfillment terms are being set. Therefore before the beginning of designing works OÜ TerasMan compiles an exact plan, determining and describing different stages of designing, development and construction. At the same time there is specified what departments participate in design and development process and in which way the information flow between participating services and departments is provided. The customer’s desires, legal and regulatory requirements and the enterprise inner rules are always being taken into account in the course of designing and development.
Everything about designing process is concretely described in the quality procedure QP-7.3 «Design and development».
While considering the contracts the OÜ TerasMan management board pays special attention upon questions relating to the purchases of necessary materials from the suppliers, taking into account the following:
- timely and exact determnation of the needs and of the requirements towards the purchased products;
- needs for the organisation and the purchased products verification criteria;
- guarantee replacement of inconsistent purchsed products;
- storage of the products;
- access to the supplier’s enterprise;
- prices and terms of deliveries.
For purchasing of materials, machines, equipment and instruments in OÜ TerasMan there is elaborated the quality procedure QP-7.4 «Purshasing process. Customer’s property.“, describing the whole activity since choosing of the supplier until the input control of the delivered materials.
The quality procedure determines the requirements, responsibility and connections between the departments, participaing in this activity. There is indicated how to choose the suppliers, who estimates them and according to which criteria is estimation being done.
In the contract with the suppliers there are exactly indicated the description of the material, its designation according to the standard and technical conditions, the requirements towards the quality, the terms of delivery. All materials are being subjected to the input check according to the technological control requirements.
7.5. Production and technical service.
The aim of production management is implementation of the production processes and creating of the confidence that the technological process and the condition of all production elements (equipment, materials, utilities, facilities, instruments, measuring devices, auxiliary materials, operating personnel, technical documentation) are under the managed conditions and provide manufacturing of the products, which correspond to the requirements set in the normative documentation and in the contracts.
All works on manufacturing and assembling of all metal constructions are being done in the constructional ironworks. According to the procedure QP-7.5 ”Production management and technical service” the work of all production units is organized in compliance with the plans elaborated for each project, where there are indicated all processes, their sequence and testing methods.
All requirements towards identification are reflected in OÜ TerasMan in quality procedure QP-7.5.3 «Identification and traceability». All documents prepared for the project under accomplishment are identified by the number of the order.
Actions, connected with loading and unloading works, are reflected in quality procedure QP - 7.5.5 «Storing of the production. Transportation. Loading and unloading works.”
7.6. Monitoring and measuring devices management.
All measuring devices in OÜ TerasMan are registered, recorded, and subjected to testing, technical approval, verification and calibration in order to provide that all measuring instruments in use are of the required type, accuracy and measurement limits.
All measuring devices are registered, there are compiled a list of them and the calibration schedule.
All the mentioned questions are more closely described in the quality procedure QP – 7.6 «Management of the control, measurement and testing devices”.
8. Measurement, analysis and improvement.
8.1. General provisions.
OÜ TerasMan has determined and implemented the measurement, testing, analyzing and improvement procedures, which would enable fulfillment of the expected requirements towards performed works and offered services. This includes also continual testing and improvement of the efficiency of the preformed works and processes, basing on the customers’ satisfaction.
The results of the data analysis and the activity on improvement are the elements of the input data for QM analysis. The registered data and information is posted on the announcement board for public inspection. This is profitable for all interested parties and helps to preserve the creative capacity of the organization. Due to the data and information the real and the claimed aims in the field of quality are being determined regularly.
8.2. Monitoring and measurement.
8.2.1. Satisfaction of the customers
OÜ TerasMan constantly conducts periodical measurement and examination of the performed works, the processes and the satisfaction of the customers. This is being done by means of documentation, collecting, analyzing, generalizing of and familiarization with the data, important for the constant improvement of QM system.
OÜ TerasMan uses all possible sources to get true information about satisfaction of its customers.
OÜ TerasMan uses the following sources of information about satisfaction of the customers:
- direct information about quality of products, received from the customers in the course of assembling of units and details on their sites;
- the customers’ responses in relation to the accomplished orders. The responses are discussed on dispatch meetings and on quality days;
- direct communication with the customer in the course of fulfilling of the order;
- complaints and reclamations of the customers;
- information from different information sources.
8.2.2. Inner audits.
Inner audit is one of the methods to check efficiency and effectiveness of the QM system. The inner audits are conducted by the quality manager together with the auditors of the firm.
The following objects are examined in the course of the inner audits:
- the effective and efficient implementation of the processes;
- possibilities of the constant improvement;
- analysis of the data about the expenses on quality;
- effective and efficient using of the resources;
- the results and monitoring of the processes and products testing;
- fulfillment of the obligations and of the measurable aims.
After auditing the corrective and preventing actions are being developed according to the determined notices and observations. The audits are conducted according to the schedule, which is approved by the director of the firm. Requests for conducting of audits and reports on the conducted inner audits are elaborated in the procedure QP – 8.2.2 «Inner audits».
8.2.3. Monitoring and measurement of the processes.
“If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it”. This is the principle the OÜ TerasMan management uses for the active quality management - since one may determine if the quality is really achieved, sustained, managed and improved only when the achieved quality is measured and compared with the established requirements.
By analyzing the QM system the OÜ TerasMan management constantly and purposefully determines, which methods should be applied in order that the individual processes at the enterprise would run smoothly and would be able to provide the required quality of the products.
8.2.4. Monitoring and measurement of the products.
By choosing of measurement methods for providing of compliance of the performed works with the requirements and also by considering of the customers’ needs and expectations the OÜ TerasMan constantly takes into account:
- necessary equipment, program means and instruments;
- location of suitable measuring points within the course of the product lifecycle processes;
- the parameters to be measured in each point, documentation and the acceptance criteria that would be applied;
- qualification of the workers, materials and processes;
- final check with the aim to approve that verification activity is finished;
- registering of the products measurement results.
The high-quality work process is distinguished not only by final testing of results, but first of all by smoothly running preparation of the manufacturing process. When all the customer’s requirements are determined, the schedule of the works compiled, the measuring chart prepared, the product testing plan ready – then it is safe to say that all requirements presented on the drawings will be fulfilled technically correctly and exactly.
All the testing processes are described in more details in quality procedure QP -8.2.4 “Monitoring and measurement of the products”.
8.3. Non-conforming products management.
To provide optimal discrepancy management all workers in OÜ TerasMan are assigned the right and authority to inform about discrepancies at any stage of the process, with the aim of their quick identification and taking urgent efficient correcting actions.
Every worker of the enterprise must immediately inform about non-conforming products, discrepancies in manufacturing preparation process, etc., but this would be of no avail if not followed by an immediate reaction. Therefore in OÜ TerasMan it is exactly established, who bears responsibility for estimation of a discrepancy.
However with checking the discrepancy and taking the corresponding urgent correcting measures the matter is not exhausted. Since preventing of discrepancies is an important part of quality management, the analysis is immediately made in OÜ TerasMan in order to determine why did the discrepancy appear and how it can be prevented in future.
All necessary actions, both from the part of workers and from the part of job foremen and managers, are described in the quality procedure QP – 8.3 «Non-conforming products management».
8.4. Data analysis.
Analysis of the data obtained in the result of measurements and informing helps to determine the source of existing potential problems and, consequently, promotes making decisions on corrective and preventive actions, which are needed for improvement. The management representative on quality is that person in OÜ TerasMan, who deals with collecting of data on quality – for example, he receives all complaints, claims and reclamations from the customers and registers them in a corresponding register. The data on reclamations are analyzed and corresponding corrective and preventive actions are taken, the fulfillment of which is supervised by the management representative on quality.
Analysis of data on reclamations, discrepancies, risks, expenses on correction of discrepancies, incapability of the personnel, imperfect work organization, gaps in provision of necessary working conditions (illumination of working places, incomplete work clothes, lack of modern office machines etc.) gives possibility to use its results for determination of:
- satisfaction of the customers;
- satisfaction of other interested parties;
- effectiveness and efficiency of the processes;
- successful achievements of the aims on improvement of activity;
- comparability of the own activity with the best achievements;
- economical aspects of quality, financial and market parameters;
- competitive capacity of the organization.
Collecting and processing of the data and the analysis of the enterprise work effectiveness, which are necessary for preparation of a report on QM system work analysis in the firm, are described in the quality procedure QP – 8.4 «Collecting, processing and analysis of the data”.
8.5.1. Continual improvement.
To secure the future and the satisfaction of the interested parties a cultural environment is created in OÜ TerasMan, which facilitates involvement of the workers into the active search of possibilities to improve the parameters of the activity processes. It is achieved my means of such activity as:
- setting the goals before the workers;
- comparison with the achievement of the competitors;
- acknowledgement and rewards for achieving the improvements;
- clearness of the proposals, including timely response from the part of the management (all orders, QM system analyses etc. are posted to the announcement board).
With the aims of achieving the effectiveness and efficiency of the improvement process the OÜ TerasMan constantly pays attention to the product lifestyle processes and to the auxiliary processes in the context of:
- efficiency (consumption of resources);
- effectiveness (fulfillment of the requirements);
- external influence (amendments of laws and regulations);
- managing of the scheduled and unscheduled changes;
- measuring of the planned profits and losses.
Such a process of constant improvement is being used in OÜ TerasMan as a tool for improvement of inner effectiveness and efficiency and also for increasing of satisfaction of the customers and other interested parties.
8.5.2. Corrective actions.
There may occur discrepancies at the enterprise. Even the enterprise, which has implemented the quality management system, is not secured against the discrepancies. But a well-functioning QM system must provide that the discrepancy would not repeat. Otherwise it will not cope with its task of active quality management.
In order that there would be no repeating of discrepancies the OÜ TerasMan in its activity widely applies the potential possibilities of the corrective actions, which at the same time are one of the main improvement tools. All the personnel in OÜ TerasMan, from the workers until the management, is involved into the process of fulfillment of the corrective actions.
In the course of adopting of the corrective actions there is paid attention to the effectiveness and efficiency of the processes, to the expenses, reliability, safety and also to the satisfaction of the customers.
The sources of information about conducting of the corrective actions in OÜ TerasMan are:
- reports about inner audits;
- reports about discrepancies;
- complaints and claims of the customers;
- data of the analysis from the part of the management;
- data about fulfillment of the goals;
- corresponding records made in the course of fulfillment of the contract works.
But the fact of adopting of a corrective action does not itself mean that everything would run in the way as it is written down. Therefore OÜ TerasMan pays special attention upon checking the effectiveness of the planned action and of its compulsory, high-quality and timely fulfillment.
8.5.3. Preventing actions.
OÜ TerasMan pays special attention upon the actions directed to prevent appearing of any discrepancies. The workers of OÜ TerasMan don’t wait until a discrepancy appears - they prevent it, basing on an old rule: «Prevention is better (and cheaper) than cure».
In OÜ TerasMan the corrective actions are elevated into the range of the scheduled ones. The possible risks and the measures for their diminishing are being taken into account in advance, while developing contracts and agreements. By the analysis of reclamations, complaints and claims of the customers there are first of all considered the measures on urgent correction; at the same time there are outlined the plans on the future prevention of the appeared discrepancies.
The elaborated preventing measures are reflected in the QM system analysis and in adopted goals of the enterprise. All data is posted on the announcement boards at the working departments for the direct familiarization.
All questions, set in the section “Measurement, analysis and improvement” of the standard ISO 9001-2008, are, together with all adjustments and partition of responsibility, reflected in the quality procedure QP –8.5.2 «Continual improvement. Corrective and preventing actions.”